Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Wednesday's notion

I sometimes forget just what a mighty and powerful God we serve. I just finished my sermon for Sunday on Christ, in God's authority and power, confronting and defeating the enemy on his own turf. As I wrote and pondered, I decided I really don't have a clue what it must of been like to walk with Jesus in those terrible, yet awesomly amazing times. I wrote about He and his disciples landing at some tombs after crossing the Sea of Galilee and this demon-possessed, powerfully fierce naked man, comes running at them screaming with open cuts all over his body. I wrote that the disciples would probably do one of two things: step a little closer to Jesus, or take a giant step toward the boat. I wish I could say I always stepped closer to Christ; but in truth, at various times, I think we all take that step back toward what we perceive as a safe place. So as I close my notion, let me share what Jesus' words to us all. "Take heart, for I have overcome the (darkness)." John 16:33

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Take heart, for I have overcome the (darkness)."

That makes me feel safe.

Anonymous said...

I like that in that particular verse (16:33) that it is a done deal. There are lots of places where he promises us things, and I believe he will keep those promises. But sometimes I find myself weaker and I rest, in those times, in the idea that the overcoming is over...it's done. He won. To me its even better than "I will..." when I'm faltering... he says he did it. Past tense...case closed.