Friday, March 16, 2007

Patent Leather Shoes

Yesterday I had the privilege to visit Smitty, a friend and a 'member' of the church who's pretty much home-bound because of M/S and seizures since childhood. Smitty is an extremely intelligent 77 year old man who lives in the humblest of surroundings. I saw a picture of him from 20 years ago today, and almost nothing has changed in his house (including were he always sits). By most of our 'standards', Smitty doesn't have much of anything (some might even say a life). But one thing he does have every time I see him, shiny patent leather shoes. The kind of shoes you would rent with the tuxedo you needed for that very special occasion. Smitty wears them, (even though he probably only leaves his house once or twice a month to go to the doctor) everyday because they make him happy. That's it! Shiny patent leather shoes is all that it takes to make him happy, to put a smile on his face. When is the last time you or I found such joy in the simplest of things? I can't remember the last time I looked at my shoes and smiled? Yet sometime today Smitty probably will. I left there, like I almost always do, better for the visit and a little wiser in the aspects of life that matter the most.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patent leather shoes have the ability to transport even the weariest of souls to a cheerier place. Thanks for reminding me Smitty.

Anonymous said...

Great work.