Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Never Too Bad

The other day I was talking with a friend of mine who had recently recovered from a very long 'spiritual drought'. I won't go into his story right now, but it was amazing to me how God had restored his heart and spirit. Anyway... my friend was on cloud nine when we spoke because he had just left a gentleman 65 years old, who was convinced that God would never be able to forgive him for all of his sins, and had just surrendered his heart to the Lord. In other words, the older man had become convinced by my friends words and the Holy Spirit that no matter what, he was never too bad to receive God's gift of forgiveness and new life! Here's God, using a guy who not 2 months ago was a wanderer himself, to convince an even older guy of the truth of His love, acceptance, and forgiveness. Truly amazing!

Truth is, I believe there are many, many people, inside and outside of the church, who believe just like this older man once believed. They are too bad to be forgiven! And because they believe that one lie, they are miserable and lonely and lost. But, that's not what God says about any one whom He has created. We're unique, and wonderful, and precious, and purposeful. He has ordained our days for His glory; if we'll only believe and walk in step with Him.

Now, I know that if you happen to be one who believes you're too bad, it's tough to believe what I wrote is true for you; but it is. So, please do this - act like it is! That's right, act like God loves you just as you are. Act like you're unique to Him and wonderful to Him and precious in His sight. Act like He has a plan for your life and you want to walk in His steps. Just act like it, for 3 weeks - and then see what happens. Try it, what do you have to lose?
PJ

5 comments:

Unknown said...

But when you are in the midst of the dirt, you don't see how someone so pure, so good, would stoop down and lift you out. I know it happens and I still have a hard time believing it for myself when I mess up.

PJ said...

I know that is true. That's why it's so important to keep telling the truth. And why acting the role may lead to believing.

Anonymous said...

Very inspirational. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

O that everyone would be pointed to the cross when they might realize we are broken, miserable, sinful and lost but would be directed to the hope, love and salvation in faith of Jesus and the cross. That they would be pointed to the Word, sharper than any two-edged sword, which tells us He is faithful to forgive our sins if we confess them to Him, that tells us our righteousness is as filthy rags in His sight. That they might be born again, and immediately, a new man will emerge - a new man whose very soul will fight against the lies of the enemy when he believes God's promises. Then they will be joyful in the Love of God and his great salvation, when their sins are repented of and washed away, when they are no longer blinded by the darkness, when they believe on his words that "He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him." The love that God has is manifest through that bloody cross, and in that he wants none to perish but all to come to repentance. The love that God has also being manifest in his chastisement, for he whom the father loves, he chastises, and we should covet that chastisement. He loves us not just as we are, but loves us in spite of how we are - broken, sinful and in need of a Savior. Oh that they might be told to live in faith in Christ and Him crucified each day, from which proceeds The Holy Spirit, giving us comfort, sanctification and the power to overcome. And when we do sin, and we will, assured that we have an advocate, Jesus Christ, whom we seek continually by faith. That we should strive for the faith of Abraham, who staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God.

Oh that there would be a people raised up to boldly and without compromise take up the sword of the spirit, which is the Word of God. That he would send us preachers who eschew sin; always pointing to the cross, the blood, the sacrifice, the Word of God! Who are not afraid to proclaim that He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. Oh, that the Lord would make me to proclaim His Truth.

Anonymous said...

Hey anonymous. I tried to read your comment but I am not sure what eschew means. Also believeth and abideth? If you have something to say, I want to hear it, but you might want to speak in a language I understand. Talk to me like I am a person and not a walking biblical encyclopedia.