Thursday, April 12, 2007

O Man of God

I want to share a quick update on Braska. She's doing much better! Last night I got to cuddle her and sing her to sleep. It was one of the highlights of my entire day! She's off of all IV's and learning how to take a bottle. She's not too happy about that bottle thing, but she's learning. You see, with her, it doesn't come naturally. Because of her mouth shape, she literally has to learn how to nurse in order to survive. There's only one way to teach her - by doing it! By putting the nipple in her mouth, in the correct position and forcing her to suck. It's a process she doesn't always like; but it's 'life' for her.
This morning I was reading in 1 Timothy and I ran across this in chapter 6, "But you, O man of God, ... pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith,...". I dawned on me that none of those character traits are 'natural' in me. I wish they were, but they just are not! That's why the words pursue and fight are so important! I have to want those qualities. Then I have to go after them and learn to make them a part of me. Then I have to be persistent in living them out in my life. I don't have to like it; but it's life for me!
The real key in that Scripture is But you, O man of God. Without God in my life calling me to that higher standard, encouraging me, strengthening me for the day, and loving me when I fall down; I would never make it! But because God is in my life, because He is the One calling me to the higher standard of life, empowering for life; I will pursue and I will fight, even when I don't like it, because for me it is life. And if Braska can learn so she can live, so can I!
PJ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your insight is always so awesome! Easy to grasp and apply to life.

Have a great weekend.
Mesh