Friday, October 19, 2007

Yes And No

The other day I wrote about how I must choose the attitude of my everyday life, no matter the circumstances. I know that is true. But what about when we are overcome with fear? Is it the same? Can overcoming our fears be as simple as the choices we make? I think that answer to that is both yes and no.

I have spent a lot of my adult life dealing with my childhood fears, struggling at times not to give in; even to the point of having to endure panic attacks. Will a simple decision on my part to not be afraid or to not allow those fears to rule me win the battle? So far, I would have to say for me the answer has been no. In and of myself, I haven't been able to do it.

But when I take the time to realize just where those fears stem from. That they are not from God, but from actions of myself or others under the influence of the enemy of my soul. That inside my heart reigns the King of kings and the Lord of lords that has already defeated that lying rascal. That Jesus has told me again and again that He is for me and not against me, and that He has made available to me all the power of heaven. That in Christ, I can do all things. Then at that moment, when I take the time to consider what is really truly true and truth; I can overcome those fears, and the answer is yes. But it's not me doing it; it is Jesus in me that enables me to make the right choice.
And what is available in Christ Jesus to me, is available to you as well.

PJ

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right!!

Anonymous said...

If God created us - and I believe that to be true - then he hard wired in us, our abilities and emotions. It has bothered me for a long time that Christians only validate joy but deny any other emotion. I think not being apart of all aspects of our nature causes great condemnation to our selves and we go around crippled feeling like failures in God's eyes and we make others feel as if they are not acceptable or saved if they don't display joy all the time. I beleive are emotions are good tools to get us through life - fear included. My responsibilty to those emotions is maturity and using them in the right way. I see to many people crushed by the inability to display their emotions. God is not afraid of our emotions - it opens up an honest relationship with Him.

Unknown said...

I wonder if God feels bad about making spiders.

Anonymous said...

It is all the awesomne God directed drama in my life that makes me who I am... the good, the bad, the joys and sorrows, Mold my compassion for the next scene.

"All I ever have to be is what God makes me."

Meshi