Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Perspective

WOW!
That was my thought as I watched the sun come this morning over the hillside looking down on the Lake of the Ozarks. I have been blessed the last couple of days to be there with my friend Norm, fishing. He owns a cabin and a boat there that we spent our time on catching white bass. Notice I didn't say fishing for, but catching! There is a difference, and it was great!
Last night, as we catching them, God gave us a really special moment. To the one side of us, about 100 feet away, there were 3 deer grazing. Off to our left, there appears a bald eagle, circling for a catch himself. He drops from the sky, not more than 40 or 50 feet from us; but comes away empty taloned, and then flies directly overhead of us, not more than 20 feet off the ground. At that moment, the biggest catch of the day struck my line. All this while the sun is beginning to set in the west. It was too awesome for words! Minutes later we decide to head in for the night, with the nearly full moon shimmering across the lake ahead of us. I am not sure it gets any better than that!

But I had to pause and put it into perspective for myself. You see, the day, as great as it was, was quite cool and windy. We fished with parkas and gloves on most of the day. As we headed in, I pulled my hood down tight and bent my head to keep the bite of the wind off my face. On most days I'm pretty sure I would whined a bit about the cold and wind, even if just to myself, and yet I thought the day was spectacular. The reason is that the day before, it rained all day and was even more windy and colder than yesterday. That made yesterday seem so much more bearable and reminded me that so much is determined by perspective.

Therefore, decide today, this morning, or better yet the night before just what kind of a day you're going to have; and then watch for God to bless it!

PJ

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like the Lord blessed you "Real Good." Glad you had a great time. Now that your so relaxed could you vacuum?