Friday, October 12, 2007

Shades of Grey

Last week I was in South Carolina visiting a brother-in-law and his wife, and taking a break. He loves to hunt, so we went almost every morning and evening. Now hunting in SC, according to my wife, is more like fishing than hunting. You go before dawn, climb up into a deer stand, and wait for the deer to appear on the pile of corn you put out about 70 yards away, so you can slaughter them while they eat. Unfortunately, we were unable to entice any deer to come to our corn pile. But it was a great opportunity for me to sit quietly before God and listen to what He may have to say to me.
What I discovered is that there is a period of time every morning, just as the the first rays of light are beginning to overcome the darkness of night, and every evening when the last ray of light is fading into night that the world around you is actually grey. Color seems to fade into nothingness and all around was just the shade of grey.
At first I was amazed when I realized this simple truth; but then I became quite sad. It saddened me because so many people live their life in that shade of grey. Jesus said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12. So many folks have heard about Jesus, even believe Jesus is who he says he is; but have never embraced his love, and chosen to walk in his light. Darkness is always right there around them, with the light of Christ just beginning to shine into them, be it ever so dim; and their world is the shade of grey. Then there are others, who have indeed embraced His light and love, and for a while it drove darkness totally away. But then circumstance and choice, which we all must deal with, has beaten back the light of life and darkness once more encroaches on their soul; and they too live in that shade of grey.
I write this as one who is looking outward and watching and hearing from God. In truth, I write this as one who knows, because it is more about my own journey of life then anyone else. I existed in the grey, knowing about Christ, but not really knowing Christ. Then one miraculous day I met Him face-to-face, and his light flooded my soul and heart. Then came that time of grey again because of circumstances and choices I made to get through the moment. That is what God chose to reveal to me as I watched day fade to night and grey envelope the pile of corn. It is no place to live, those shades of grey, when light and love are only a decision away.
PJ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have seen the same grey from the deer stand and was facinated with it.I loved the grey but was even happier when the light showed up.The deerstand is a great place to meet God isnt it? also to read,eat snacks and oh yeah i forget sometimes to hunt for deer.!!