Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Samson Clause

I had my Bible study again today and my new atheist friend attended. He asked some good questions, but mostly he listened. He's really not as atheist as he thinks he is. We talked a little and he thanked me for answering a few more of his questions. Eventually we'll have a close enough friendship I can share the truth with about Christ and he'll accept it. It will happen, not because I say it will; but because Jesus says He doesn't want anyone to be lost. That includes Ed.

Yesterday, we had several power outages. It's amazing to me how much we rely on our electrical power. I even had to get out my books to study and prepare the Bible study with because the computer was down. My only light was from the window, and the only cool air was what was left in the room after the A/C quit. Fortunately the water fountain is gravity flow and I could still get cool water. We are really a spoiled bunch of whiners aren't we! How many people around the world would gladly live in those 'awful' conditions I just described?

The thought that I had as I sat in the window light, was how helpless I felt without the power. Of course, being a pastor I related that to Christ. He is the 'power' behind all life. Without Him, there is no life. I've had moments when I have felt that He isn't there. (Everyone of them was because of something I've done to separate myself from Him) Those moments are horrible and empty, and they drive me to the foot of His cross. Maybe one of the scariest thoughts for me is what I call the 'Samson Clause'. He was the strongest man to ever live because of the power of God at work in him, and when God took it away because he went away from God - Samson never realized the power was gone! Maybe that's why when I feel that God and I aren't connecting, I go to the cross. A temporary 'blackout' is bad enough; I never ever want to experience a permanent one.
PJ

3 comments:

Unknown said...

God must give your brain an extra jog of thinking skills. I thought we just didn't have electricity.

Anonymous said...

Maybe when the lights go out for the rest of us, yours turn on. Well stated good sir.

Anonymous said...

Amen. Once you've tasted the sweetness of the Lord you don't want to be without it again. Unfortunately that sweetness can become dulled when everyday life gets between us and the things that connect us to the Lord... reading the Bible, praying, meditating on Him. It is frightening to wake up some days and realize you're farther from Him than you realized.

Thanks, PJ for sharing your thoughts. Just found your blog and am thrilled about it. Makes the miles between St. Louis and Kansas fall away.