Monday, August 20, 2007

The Old Is Better?

I was challenged recently to spend time absorbing the Scriptures of the Bible, instead of simply reading them. So I've been practicing that. Reading and re-reading 1 chapter every day to see what God has to teach me. It's been very enlightening, give it a try.
Anyway after reading my chosen chapter several times and really thinking about I usually read one more, but to not as much detail or thought given to it. Today I read Luke 5. 2 things 'jumped out' at me. The 1st one was that after they have this miraculous catch of fish, to the point 2 boats are so full they are almost sinking; then they leave everything and follow Jesus. They just walk off and leave this huge catch of fish. And at that time that was a lot of financial gain they just walked away from to follow Jesus. This thought instantly came to me, "What am I willing to walk away from in order to follow Jesus?"
Now, here's the 2nd thing I noticed. Chapter 5 ends with this illustration given by Jesus: No one tears a piece of cloth from a new garment and uses it to patch and old garment. ... And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. The new wine would burst the old skins, spilling the wine and ruining the skins. New wine must be put into new wineskins. (Here it comes) But no one who drinks the old wine seems to want the fresh and the new. 'The old is better' they say." This whole section spoke to me about the church. Do we really want the fresh and the new? Do I?
Jesus Christ is alive, and the Holy Spirit is constantly revealing more truth concerning Christ and redemption and restoration and new life. Question is, do we, does the church want it, or does it believe as in Jesus' day on earth that the old is better? Tell me what you think.
PJ

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes, we want the new without having to give up the old comfortable wine skin. Of course that doesn't work, but it feels more comfortable and is a lot less work.