Wednesday, July 25, 2007

King's Son

Well, I survived! Last week end I got away with my 3 sons for an over night guys time away. A family in the church have a great place on Lake perry that they loaned to us. A fabulous log home with a huge deck, right on the lake and a pontoon boat to boot. We fished and ate and boated and tubed and watched movies and played cards and laughed and just generally had a great time. That evening after dark we had a huge bonfire, and we sat around it and talked. Actually I did most of the talking, because I was a secret mission and it was time to share it.
A year ago, through a program called Men's Fraternity I discovered the biblical definition for authentic manhood, and I have been in pursuit of it ever since. You see, no ever told me what a authentic man was, or how to live as one, or to make a plan that made life happen for me instead just to me. Therefore, I never passed any of that information along to my 3 sons,; and I was on a mission to change that. So we sat around this fire after having a great day together and I shared my heart for manhood with my guys. Then I challenged them to begin their own quest for authentic manhood by pulling out battle ready swords and actually knighting them that were ready to accept the challenge. They knelt and I anointed them with oil representing the Spirit of God and them as men of God. Then I knighted them, swearing them to an oath: To be without fear in the face of their enemy. To be brave and upright, that the Lord may bless them. To speak the truth, no matter what it may cost them. To take care of and stand up for those less fortunate then them. To trust God to lead and to guide, to provide for and protect them. To serve and follow Christ whole-heartily, every day of their lives. Then I presented them with their own sword, to remind them of this moment and that they were to live as warriors before God. Then we all gathered around the one being knighted and I prayed a blessing upon their life. It was an awesome moment for me. One I have been planning for months and have imagined a hundred times.
I may never know the full impact of that weekend. I know what it meant for right now. Will they accept the challenge & live it? I can only hope they will. Will they pass it on to their future sons? I hope so, for that is my prayer. For now, I know this. I did what God was asking me to do. I face my fears, I strive to be brave & upright, to care for and stand up for less fortunate then me, I tell the truth, I trust God, and will serve and follow Him with all my heart. I will continue to learn about and pursue authentic manhood; and I will encourage my sons to do the same. And God willing, they will.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm all in!

Anonymous said...

I think it's a great idea, and I appreciate your heart in it. Thanks for doing the weekend for the brothers.

Rod said...

Dear John,

The entry on your blog about the weekend with your boys was terrific. You have encouraged me as a fellow minister and as a dad. I am challenged by your words in regard to being a better dad to my sons (and daughters). I have another son getting married this fall (then four more kids to go!) so it gave me some good ideas.

God bless you and yours, brother!

In Christ,
Rod