Monday, June 20, 2011

A Little Extra

I(names of givers and recipients will not be shared) was blessed with a "Pass the Hat" opportunity the Sunday before Thanksgiving. A co-worker has been through radiation and chemotherapy...twice.

When she came home the second time and shared the unfortunate news with her family, her husband told her that he was divorcing her. Currentl several months have passes since she finished the secnd round of treatmens, her divorce is final and her fmaily has been turned upside down in every aspect (financially, emotionally, physically, etc). She is now adjusting to being back to work full-time plus overtime (as her body allows, to help with bills) and being a single mom to her two sons (one is living at home going to college, the other is a senior in high school).

When I approached her on Monday, I explained the "Pass the Hat" at South Side and that I would like to 'share this gift and for her to know that Jesus loves her. That's it, plain ans imple."

Needless to say, she started to cry and for me the tears started when I was approaching her, so I began to cry a river whe she said "Thank you." She continued on, "You don't know what this means to me. My oldest son has a part-time job and I had to borrow money from him yesterday to buy groceries for our Thanksgiving meal. He gave me $100. and that's exactly what I spent."

I replied, "As God always does, he has given you a little extra." The total she received was $110. We shared tears and hugs and then returned back to our desks, both having been blesses bigger and better than either of us ever could imagine.

No comments: