Monday, June 13, 2011

Pass the Hat

Today my son from Independence Mo called & asked me why I wasn't posting any more. He told me that there was a portion of the churches web site, 'Pass the Hat' that took him here to my 'Notions', and when he got here & found nothing, he was quite disappointed. he encouraged me to start setting aside at least 3o minutes a week to post 'Pass the Hat' stories. So here's the 1st one.
Last October I was at a conference and heard about a church doing something similar to our passing of the hat. I felt God nudge me toward instituting this in our church as a way to teach & encourage the church to be the church, be a blessing to others & create an opportunity to share Christ's love with others at the same time.
I came home wondering about it & still praying about it. The next day, as I was passing through the sanctuary, on the front pew hung a old, black cowboy hat I have never seen before. Laughingly I said to God, "OK, since You provided the hat, we'll see where it goes.". That Sunday we began
'passing the hat', and we collected $110 to give away as a blessing to someone in need. I felt God lead me to someone in the church to give it to to pass on to someone else telling them that Jesus loves them , which they did later that week. I set that old, black cowboy hat on a desk in my office & left for home. The next day when I came in, that hat was gone. To this day, no one has fessed up to taking it. It's just gone. I since have gone to using another hat that I found in the ushers closet that no one has claimed. It's still being used used. To date we have given away over $5,000 to 32 families, who have mostly been strangers in need of hearing that Jesus loves them. Knowing, that the one's who have been blessed the most is us, as we get to hear the 'Pass the Hat' stories every week.
So starting this week I will try to post those stories for you to share in our blessings from God. And if by His design you happen to be a recipient some day, know it's because Jesus loves you & wants to bless you with a gift from a church that loves Him.

No comments: