Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Another Cooper Story

Yesterday in the St. Louis area it snowed almost a foot. It was beautiful to watch it fall, but a real pain to shovel. I told my wife I haven't seen snow like that since our 1st winter in Elkhart, KS. That thought reminded me of our sons dog Cooper, a golden retriever with a bassett hound body, who loved to come over to my house and play in the snow in our back yard. It was as deep as he was tall, and he'd leap from place to place. So I went out and shoveled him a path to run in and for me to get my garbage out. He'd come and for a while he'd run in that path, and then all of a sudden he'd leap into the deep snow, then turn around and fight his way back to the path again. It was fun to watch!
Reminded me yesterday as a I thought about that, that is a lot like us and Christ. All around us is the 'deep', at different levels for different folks, that we are attempting to leap through and find our way. Jesus comes along and clears a path for us to follow Him on. On His path we can run and jump and be free of the 'deep'. Then all of a sudden we jump off the path, thinking our way has to be better, or we just have to have that thing over there, or it just looks like too much fun; and we're right back into the 'deep' and wondering how to get out of it again, fighting to get back to the path.
When Cooper would leave the path, if I was out there with him, I would call him back to me. Jesus is out there with us, and He is calling us back. Question is, what will each of us do?
PJ

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great story about Cooper and lots of food for thought for us.
Thank you.
Have a great Birthday.
Ernie and Kitty

Unknown said...

Excellent word picture.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for painting such a descriptive picture. Our dog,Lady even as old as she is--and should know better--takes off into snow drifts much too high. She gets to a soft place and sinks in up to her belly. I have to run to her rescue. I often get into same place spiritually. Glad the Lord comes to my rescue countless times, every time I call to Him.